Thursday, February 16, 2017

My Game of Pokemon GO: Stage VI.2 Lapras - Programming Exercise

The game is now pretty much over for me, except a few lose ends to tighten up.  I walked enough Togepi candies but decided to hold on to the evolution, as Silph Road users suspected it might be available in the wild (yes, this is confirmed today with Gen II release!).  I walked enough Porygon candies ready for generation-2 evolution (but Valentine Event later just gave away Porygons).  I started walking Lapras to gain candies for power up.  My two friends were still one Pokemon away from their completion: one needed a Porygon and another needed a Lapras.  Time for me to get my hands wet and put my programming skills into use.

By this time, I had been monitoring Silph Road and were aware of a new wave of Twitter accounts was booming.  Coronado Island is just too far to patronize often from our locations, based on Twitter feeds I discovered Lapras occasionally spawned in La Jolla and Oceanside as well, which are closer to where we live.  However, Twitter feeds contains tons of Pokemons we did not care, i.e., 99% of the feeds were junks to us, making it unuseable.

One Friday night, I wrote an application, streaming feeds from several local Pokemon twitter accounts, filtering for keywords Porygon and Lapras, once located, it sent a text message to my friends.  This quickly led to successful Porygon captures.  One text message a few days later brought a nearly level-28 Lapras at La Jolla to my other friend.  All members of our Pokemon team now had completed the Pokedex! Hurray!!

The program streams messages from multiple Twitter accounts, filtering out those not containing keywords Porygon, Snorlax or Lapras in the text body.  It sends Google Map location and time-to-hide as text messages. 

No comments: