Thursday, February 16, 2017

My Game of Pokemon GO - Stage V: Babies

Egg hatching was not totally fruitless. In the mid December, seven baby Pokemons were introduced into the game; they could not be caught in wild, but could only be hatched.  Based on my rich experience in hatching ($$$, time and distance walked in combine!), I knew those rare 5km babies were just as unattainable as Porygons, therefore, I was not going to waste more money on babies.

Then came the Christmas event, where the probability of baby-containing eggs were significantly boosted by Niantic.  I was taking a vacation in Cancun, but I knew this was the only window to get babies without spending a fortune.  With the unknown but significantly-increased probability of getting baby eggs, the return-of-investment in incubator-purchasing was more justified.  Besides, I always had a theory that when the game was first released, the probability of hatching Lapras was way higher based on anecdote stories I heard, but obviously that theory cannot be proved right or wrong, anyway, I did not want to miss this special baby-introduction phase.  It was fortunate that I could walked in the warm sea breeze in the middle of December, which also helped to keep my body in shape, while we were being fed like pigs in an all-inclusive hotel.  With tons of luck, all babies were hatched and I even got two Togepei, one could be used for evolution later.  I have not bought a single incubator since, hatching is generally a terrible strategy for players living in San Diego -- literally a Pokemon GO paradise.
100% loaded to maximize the baby-hatching probability during the Christmas event.  The orange incubator is the free one provided by the game, all other eight costs $1.5 each and were good for three hatches only.

Before the Christmas event, I hatched 346 eggs after walking 502km (recorded on Dec 16, 2016), by now, I have walked 760km and hatched 489 eggs.

Eggs hatched and distance walked so far.

I got a total of 41 10km eggs, including enhanced 10km egg probability during the Christmas baby event, therefore my 10km egg-rate is a bit biased and is misleading above 7.4%.  I believe 7.4% is a solid estimation for the probability of obtaining a 10km [see previous post].  Here is the hatch chart of all my 41 Pokemons.  You will not find Lapras there.


Birth Certificates

Each Pokemon has a birth certificate recording when it was caught/hatched and where it was caught/laid (if from an egg).  I have Pokemons collected in various locations and it is fun to check these certificates to bring back some good memories.

Example birth certificates: Togepi is a Mexican baby born on 12/28/2016.  Visa was not required to bring babies from Mexico into the US, confirmed (well, at least before the new president).  Smoochum is a Houston baby born on 12/26/2016 (egg obtained at airport).  Dratini is actually not a Mexican baby. Pokemons caught at south end of the Coronado Island were mistakenly marked as Mexico.  The map used by the game is not accurate, the Dratini is in fact a legal US citizen.

No comments: